When decorating and doing a bit of DIY in wee ones room it is not necessary to spend a fortune. Some of the best baby and kids rooms are done without purchasing the typical matching set of over priced bedroom set and matchy match themed accessories. I love a colorful and cheery room full of vintage hip modern touches. I hate a Winnie The Pooh fest! Let's see how it is done? What did you do for your little one?
Here are some cool rooms and some tips to creating a wonderful room with items you have or items that the child can keep as they grow.
1. When you are going to invest do it with style. Think about classic pieces like a cool dresser, sideboard, or full bed. Think about yr wee one growing up and taking these pieces with them.
2. Paint is the cheapest bang for your buck! Seriously go bold and bright and fun! Kids love it and it might be the only room in your home that you will let yourself go crazy. Don't we always wanna pick that bright crazy color chip, but never do? Do it!
3. Group items together for visual interest. Use color or items to build cool shrines on dressers, walls, or in the sky. I love the idea of hanging tons of the same kite from the ceiling! Collections can make a room! Think outside the box.
4. Install a wire across the room for the child to hang their ever changing
artwork and other such coolness. It keeps the room neater and looks so cool! ( Pottery Barn sell these- but the hardware store does too for cheap cheap).
5. Get thee to the vintage store, yard sales, and antique shops. The old mixed with the new is the chic way to go! Old chalkboards and daybeds mixed with cool new finds from main street and the web.
6. Just do it. I think teaching kids style and the art of DIY and resourcefulness is a gift!